The next time you’re thinking of cooking food for game night or a family dinner, try out this Chicken Tetrazzini Casserole. it’s a clean eating recipe, it’s delicious and it’s crunchy.
Prep time: 45 mins. Total time: 60 mins Servings: 6
- Olive oil cooking spray
- 1/2 lb whole-wheat or farro short pasta (rigatoni, penne, sedani; 8 oz)
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 6 oz cremini mushrooms, thin-sliced (about 2 cups)
- 1/4 cup diced sweet onion
- 1 medium carrot, peeled, halved lengthwise and thin-sliced (about 1/2 cup)
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 2 cups low-fat, low-sodium chicken broth
- 1/3 cup low-fat sour cream
- 3 tbsp fine-chopped fresh parsley
- 1 oz Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese, grated (about 1/3 cup), divided
- 2 tsp chopped fresh tarragon
- 1/2 tsp grated lemon zest
- 1 tbsp fresh lemon juice
- 5 oz roasted chicken breast, torn into bite-size pieces (about 1 cup)
- 3/4 cup frozen peas, thawed
- 1/4 cup roughly chopped raw almonds, optional
How to make it:
Step 1 – Preheat oven to 400°F. mist an 11-cup (2.6 L) casserole dish with cooking spray; set aside.
Step 2 – Cook pasta to medium according to package directions. Drain and rinse under cold running water and drain again; set aside.
Step 3 – Meanwhile, heat oil in a large nonstick skillet or Dutch oven over high heat. Add mushrooms, onion and carrot and cook, stirring, for 1 minute. Add salt, cook and stir until mushrooms are golden brown and carrot has softened about 4 minutes. Add broth, bring to a boil, reduce heat to medium and simmer until carrot is tender about 5 minutes. Transfer a part of the broth and half of vegetable mixture to a blender and grind until smooth.
Step 4 – Add sour cream, parsley, half of Parmigiano-Reggiano, tarragon, lemon zest and juice, and pulse blender until mixed. Return puréed mixture to skillet and toss with pasta, chicken, and peas.
Step 5 – Transfer mixture to a prepared casserole dish, and sprinkle remaining half of Parmigiano-Reggiano and almonds, if desired, over top. Bake until sauce is bubbling and the top is golden brown, about 20 to 25 minutes.